Leica Camera AG, Wetzlar, recently introduced in the Philippines its newest camera the LEICA Q, the first full-frame sensor digital compact camera from the German iconic brand.
The much-anticipated LEICA Q was launched in Leica’s exclusive store in the Philippines located at the lower ground floor of Greenbelt 5. The LEICA Q, which can already be pre ordered at the store, retails for P212,700.
Apart from the full-frame sensor, the LEICA Q features high-speed classic focal length prime lens. Its Leica Summilux 28 mm f/1.7 ASPH lens makes it ideal for available light situations and has an angle of view that reproduces scenes with natural perspectives and proportions. This makes it the perfect camera for street, architectural and landscape photography.
In combination with a 24 MP, full-frame CMOS sensor precisely matched to its lens, the camera delivers richly detailed exposures with extremely low noise in optimum quality at ISO sensitivities up to 50,000.
The Leica Q full-frame compact camera, which also has a wifi feature, has the fastest autofocus in its class and offers almost real-time precision focusing. At the same time, its newly developed image processor from the Leica Maestro II family, specially adapted for use in the Leica Q, processes the data from the sensor at an enormous speed and delivers up to ten frames per second at full resolution.
Other features of the LEICA Q:
- Integrated viewfinder with a resolution of 3.68 MP. Even the finest details of every exposure are displayed without any perceptible lag as soon as the camera is brought up to the user’s eye.
- The digital frame selector of the Leica Q offers even more creative opportunities. Alternative subject framing can be selected at the press of a button. In addition to the focal length of 28 mm at full resolution, this function also offers the equivalent of shooting with 35 and 50 mm lenses. The corresponding frames are displayed in the viewfinder at the press of a button.
- In the same way as with a rangefinder camera, photographers can still see what is going on outside the bright-line frame and can react much faster to changes in and around the subject. The selected framing is preserved in the JPEG image files, while the RAW files in DNG format record the entire field captured by the 28 mm lens.
- The Leica Q also carries forward the Leica tradition of a reduction to the essentials in terms of its design. The seal of quality, “made in Germany, ” guarantees that only the finest materials are employed in its construction to guarantee exceptional endurance. The top plate is machined from solid blocks of aluminium, the body is made of magnesium alloy, and all lettering and the markings on its setting dials are laser-engraved. The thumb rest on the back of the camera and the diamond pattern of its leathering ensure ideal grip and clearly illustrate that form and function still go hand in hand at Leica.
- All functions of the Leica Q are clearly laid out and logically placed to guarantee perfect ergonomics. Its clear menu concept provides access to all essential functions and also offers custom programming options: for instance, convenient definition of the autofocus limits by key control. Alternatively, the touchscreen can be used for focusing by eye, or the focusing point can be selected with a simple touch of a fingertip. In manual focusing mode, Live View offers two additional electronic focusing aids: Focus Peaking shows points in the subject that are sharply focused by coloured highlighting of edges, and Live View Zoom simultaneously lets the photographer check the sharply focused parts of the scene with up to sixfold magnification.
- The unusually high speed and unmistakable bokeh of the lens of the Leica Q also reveal their unique qualities when shooting in video mode. Video recorded in full HD with the Leica Q is indistinguishable from professional movie footage. Depending on the scene, users can choose between 30 and 60 full frames per second for video recording in MP4 format. An integrated wind-noise filter guarantees crystal-clear sound.
- The Leica Q features an integrated Wi-Fi module for wireless transmission of still pictures and video to other devices and remote control by WLAN from a smartphone or a tablet PC. The Leica Q app for these features can be downloaded free from the Leica website. In addition to remote release and display of the viewfinder image, the app also allows the setting of parameters like the aperture and shutter speed from the device employed.
Managing Director of Leica Camera Asia Pacific, Mr. Sunil Kaul says during the launch of the camera: “The Leica Q offers the greatest possible creative freedom for realising even the most demanding photographic ambitions, the Leica Q marks a new milestone for Leica Camera, built on the values of exquisite quality and sustainability. I invite all photography enthusiasts to enjoy photography at its purest form and meet your new photography companion.”
General Manager of Leica Store Philippines, Ms. Edith Dychiao says, “Leica has been at the forefront of photography for over a century. Today, it will again redefine what a camera should be and will be. With a full frame sensor, prime lens, easy and intuitive handling, combined with the superior quality, and precise German design and technology — the Leica Q is indeed the Quint- Essential camera of our time.”